The Plant Pure Nation Cookbook, Kim Campbell (BenBella Books, Inc., 2015)
This is a cookbook that is the accompaniment to the documentary movie by the same name, “Plant Pure Nation”. Author Kim Campbell is the daughter-in-law of Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of the important work, The China Study. Kim and her husband Nelson launched a plant based diet “Jump Start” program with 16 participants in Mebane, North Carolina. The “Jump Start” program includes extensive physical testing before and after the program. The participants convert to a plant based diet and are tested again after two weeks in the program. Strong results from the post participation test, such as 50 point drops in cholesterol, were common. One year after the program started it had grown to 130 participants.
The cookbook is nicely laid-out with ample pictures of the tantalizing dishes. A forward by T. Colin Campbell starts the book. An introduction that covers the author’s switch from a Standard American Diet to plant based follows. Next is a “Getting Started” section with recommendations for stocking a well-supplied plant based pantry, simple substitutions, and some suggestions for making the transition to a plant based diet easy. It ends with charts of cooking times and yields for grains and beans. The book contains a very generous 300 plus pages of recipes, photos and nutrition information. Included are also personal testimonials, facts about the “Jump Start” program and information on the Plant Pure Nation approach at the end of each chapter. These make the book more than just a cookbook, as it is also a book with thought provoking ideas.
This cookbook contains excellent recipes, and there are no added oils! Many that are used as part of the “Jump Start” program. Most of the recipes are accompanied by beautiful pictures of the dishes. We found the recipes we tried to be flavorful and easy to prepare. We made Breakfast Patties, Sweet Tahini Dressing, Mushroom Stroganoff, Ethiopian Stew, Orange Stir Fry and Portobello Mushroom & Broccoli Stir-Fry. The recipe below (found at page 41) is for Breakfast Patties. We served it with our favorite plant based gravy.
Glenn McCarthy (12/1/2015)
Breakfast Patties from the Plant Pure Nation Cookbook
- 2 T Flax meal
- 6 T water
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 7 white button mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 1½ cups grated potatoes
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- 7 oz. extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 T vital wheat gluten
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Mix the flax meal with the water in a small bowl and set aside until it thickens.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the green onions, mushrooms, bell pepper and garlic in water until tender.
- Place the sautéed vegetables and the remaining ingredients, including the flax mixture, in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Form the mixture into patties.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown
- Allow the patties to cool and set before serving.
Reviewers Note: I doubled this recipe and served the patties with a nice gravy.